Wednesday, April 3, 2013

What Photography Has Taught Me

Halfway through my sophomore year at AppState, common sense finally kicked in and I changed my minor from Business Marketing to Digital Photography. I have always loved taking pictures, and although in most people's minds my major, Public Relations was most rationally paired with Marketing, the truth is that it really makes much more sense paired with photography, since I am most interested in writing and taking pictures. I could see myself writing articles and taking pictures for a newspaper or magazine one day. Perfect.

Photography has taught me more than I ever imagined it would. As I walked to my photography class today, admiring Boone's beautiful blue sky and the first hints that Spring may come after all after a long, cold winter, all these things became crystal clear to me. It's amazing to me the timing that thoughts begin to culminate in my mind, whether it be late at night as sleep evades me, in the shower, on a long drive, or simply in the midst of an unexpected beautiful day (it was supposed to rain today).

So, I want to share just a few things that photography has taught me, and hopefully if you have a passion for taking pictures you will be able to relate!

Photography has taught me:

1) Not to let a moment slip away. If I had a dollar for every time I've seen something beautiful, thought about snapping a picture of it and missed my opportunity... I'd be a very wealthy girl. It seems like I am always in such a hurry that I don't allow myself the luxury of slowing down enough to appreciate the present. If we slowed down enough to capture the beauty each moment holds, how much happier would we be? (Not to mention, what awesome pictures we could have!)

2) To notice the beauty in everything. Despite the lies society has taught us, there is, in fact, beauty in everything. Take time to notice the intricate details in the everyday things you take for granted and you'll be surprised what you find!

3) To see things for what they really are. It's easy to have a fixed idea of what something looks like in your mind, but if you really look at your images, you'll realize that it's so much more than the general perception.

4) To be prepared for anything. You never know what opportunity you'll have, or what you'll have to do to get a good image. This definitely keeps you on the edge of your seat!

5) Not to be afraid to switch it up a little. Go out at sunrise, get different lighting, crouch down low to the ground, whatever it takes to get a fresh, new perspective. It's amazing how altering such small details can produce a whole new idea!


No comments:

Post a Comment