Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Hard-Headed Expectations

I've always been very torn about how I feel about expectations. On one hand, having expectations most always leads to disappointment, especially for someone as hard-headed as me, who is easily frustrated when things don't go as planned (haha you'd think I would've learned by now that nothing goes as planned). But on the other hand, I think having expectations is a form of having hope and setting your standards high.  So, the question becomes: Where do you draw the line and how do you discern what's okay and what's not?

If you're like me, then you sometimes always have an idea in your mind for how a situation is "supposed" to go... from planning conversations out in your mind only to find the other person isn't following your "script" to watching your perfectly planned evening be ruined because something stupid happens that messes everything up. Life happens, whether we plan for it or not.

Now, I think Jesus knew that there would be people like me in this world- planners - because He flat out says "In his heart a man plans his course but the LORD determines his steps (Proverbs 16:9). The older I get, the more I realize that this couldn't be more true.

While I do think it's important to keep your standards high ("Keep your heels, head and standards high, ladies") I think that the line you can't cross is found at the point where you're making yourself miserable because little details don't work out. God has it all under control and He knows what He's doing! Don't let those hard-headed expectations steal your joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment