Tuesday, April 16, 2013

What good is a worry?

As many of you know, I am going to Italy with the technical photography department in May. Ever since I came to Appalachian three years ago, I have always wanted to Study Abroad. I never thought it would be possible , though, because of credit hours, financial aid and my desire to graduate on time in May of 2014 (holy cow... that's just a little over a year from now!). Well, last year after changing my minor from Business Marketing to Photography (see previous post) I was presented with this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and decided it was simply too good to pass up!

Well- lots of meetings, some serious prayer and one $5000 loan later... I leave in less than a month!

I know I should be excited, and I am, but I'm also a nervous wreck about the trip. Not only is this trip (which lasts almost a month) the longest I've ever been away from home, but I also don't know anyone else out of the 14 people going on the trip and I've never done anything like this before. I'm infamous among my family and friends for being a terrible packer (it's a struggle for me to take less than 3 or 4 bags for a simple weekend trip home) but for this whole trip I can only bring a backpack! The diva in me is slowly dying, needless to say.

And although I know I shouldn't worry about the money (I know it's going to be worth every penny once I get there), I can't help but stress over that aspect, as well. I have been blessed enough to graduate completely and totally debt free next year- a huge accomplishment for a college student in 2013 (thanks Obama... don't even get me started), so choosing to take out this loan in my name was a huge leap of faith for me.

So, obviously this trip is a big deal and I can hardly stand the anticipation (can it just hurry up and be May 12th already?!). We're going from Charlotte, NC to Rome to Cortona to Florence to Berne, Switzerland to the Amalfi Coast/Isle of Capri back to Rome!

After praying about this (a whole lot) I have realized that this trip is meant to be a blessing, not a source of stress or worry. A quote by Corrie Ten Boom automatically pops into my mind: "Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles, it empties today of its strength." 

So, if there's something in your life that is stressing you out when it shouldn't, take a step back, talk to our Heavenly Father about it, and try to have a positive attitude! If you put your faith in the Lord, He will bless you, there's no doubt about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment